Friday, November 20, 2009

G uess what I just finished? Three scarves that I will be sending to the Roots & Shoots group at the Little Wound School on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. The group (which is comprised of high school students) is holding a winter outwear drive to help keep people in their community all warm and toasty this winter. I love the idea of supporting a student-run drive; I want the kids to know that they can make a positive impact on other people.

Here is a close-up of the three scarves:


And here are the actual scarves:


I have another scarf on the needles and I have plans for several more. I am really enjoying picking out a different stitch for each scarf and given that I have a couple of stitch dictionaries, I could knit scarves for a long time before I had to repeat myself!

I am in the process of trying to sort through patterns so that I can knit something for the new babies that keep popping into my world. However, I don't know if I will get the nerve up to actually make a baby gift. I don't ever want to be the person who gives the handmade item that the parents didn't want in the first place, or gives the homely gift (some of my friends are quite skilled craftspeople who put me to shame), or you know, the gift that is already outgrown by the time it is finished. Yep, I have that problem. Sometimes my knitting mojo just stalls on a project and I have to set it aside for a while. That works for most things but it definitely won't work for baby projects!

So, are you working on any creative projects?

1 comment:

  1. Love the scarves- love the bright colors! I tried to learn how to knit once and failed miserably. I've been thinking about trying to learn again... :)

    ReplyDelete

Oh the places I've been...