Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dashing Through the Stash

Well, The Knit Girllls stash dash is officially underway and so far, so good. Since the dash started 11 days ago I have completed 4 projects of which three were works in progress! I have used 1,362 yards of yarn which doesn't really make a dent in my stash. Oh well. I am really enjoy the knitting and my knitting mojo has definitely kicked into high gear.

Finished Objects:
Chunky Charity scarf v. 1
This is a scarf that will be donated to charity once the weather turns colder & since it is made from an acrylic yarn it will probably go to a local charity. I tend to save the acrylic and superwash wool items for local charities since they are generally going to people that will be machine washing their clothing. I save the wool items that need to be hand washed for charities that are sending the items to people who will be hand washing their clothing, usually due to lack of access to laundry facilities or (in some cases) no indoor plumbing. The scarf doesn't really have a pattern, I just cast on some stitches and used the Ridged Rib stitch from the Knit & Purl Harmony Stitch Guide.

P6070259
This is the Sockhead hat which is made from a skein of sock yarn. I haven't decided if I am keeping this or putting it in the charity box. It is a long & floppy stocking cap and I really love the way the yarn striped instead of pooling or flashing.

P6070281
This is just a short, garter stitch scarf that has a nice drape to it. I plan on keeping it as it will go with my navy winter coat. The colors in the photo aren't the best but since I took the picture under the glare of florescent lights, I shouldn't be surprised. The yarn is Colinette Jitterbug which I high recommend. I ripped out the start of three different scarfs before settling on the plain garter stitch and the yarn held up to the abuse.

In other NerdGirl happenings, I attended a family reunion on Sunday. I haven't been to the reunion on this side of the family in probably 20 years so I didn't know a lot of people. I mainly went to see an aunt and a couple of uncles that I hadn't seen in a while. We had a nice visit so I was glad that I went instead of backing out at the last minute because I wasn't going to know most of the people there.

I hope all is well in your neck of the woods and I hope to be back soon with more knitting and other adventures.

3 comments:

  1. I love how even though you didn't use a pattern in the first scarf, the colors match up when the scarf is folded. And I also LOVE the backdrop for you photography. I almost feel like I've been there before. ^_- And bonus points to you on your thoughtfulness on which types of yarn you donate to which types of charities. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOO! What pattern is that first scarf? I lerves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara--No pattern just worked Ridged Rib (2 rows knit; 2 rows purl 1 knit 1 rib) over an odd number of stitches. It makes for a nice squishy fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Oh the places I've been...